A strange skate
Things felt a bit weird today. For some reason, my fear level had been shoved up a notch. I have absolutely no idea why - I can only put it down to being slightly tired, after getting up very early this morning (as in, I was up from 2.00-3.00am) to see Stacey and F off to Russia. I lounged around in my dressing gown with a cup of tea, while they rushed around making sure they had everything!
But yes, my trepidation levels were a little higher today. I'm hoping I'm back to normal tomorrow for my lesson!
Much the same as over the last week and not too much to report on the "big" stuff (edges, FXO's, perimeter stroking, Russian Stroking etc) - not bad, not brilliant.
I mostly worked on 3-turns - firstly FO3's which were completely off colour to start with, but made a reappearance this afternoon (deja vu to yesterday!). The RFO3's are beginning to catch up, but my BI edge on the exit is feeling horribly insecure. Maybe it was just cos of an off day. I have started introducing FI3's back into it, and actually the RFI3's are not feeling bad! After my lesson last week, I remembered to keep more upright on the RFI entry and the turn happens more easily. Still a lot of work to do on these.
I spent quite a bit of time on Mohawks as well and these are slowly improving all the time. My weight has gone from being occasionally to nearly always over that BI exit edge, which I am pleased about. I also read somewhere about keeping your arms and head facing into the circle, and letting your hips rotate underneath, which did help somewhat.
And I practiced something that I haven't practiced on my own for weeks - yes, backward crossovers! Still not brave enough to do these on the hockey circle, but I can do some consecutive ones if the barrier is not too far away, and they also felt quite good. A bit of a tendency to catch the toepick of the crossunder leg when lifting it back on the CCW BXO's but managed to correct this on the whole.
So maybe not a complete write-off then. Perhaps I'm just hormonal :)


4 comments:
Don't write off the hormonal suggestion- there are certain times of the month that crossing the road takes more co-ordination than I can muster so skating decently is like asking me to sleep standing on my head.
Well, it's about five days before (the girls will know what I mean!) so I suppose it could be.
I just felt really on edge (not meant to be a pun!) the whole time like everything was going to go horribly wrong!
Re BXO's and catching the toe pick - you want to point your toe as you are doing the under push and then flex your foot as you bring it back. I think: Shove Out, Shove In, Point, Flex, Outside edge. (let me know if i need to translate that)
3turn
No, it makes perfect sense 3turn! I wasn't pointing and pigeontoeing the foot enough - something for me to concentrate on.
Post a Comment