Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Splat

Was a bit of a rush to get to the rink on time today - I am in Manchester tomorrow, after getting some ridiculously early train and had a lot to get done at work, and then buses didn't play nicely on the way to the rink.

However, got there on time on the end. Got on the ice and started off with some perimeter stroking and on the first set of FXO's, my feet went in the wrong direction and I splatted onto the ice. Straight into a big, deep, freezing cold puddle that was left over from the zamboni that hadn't had time to freeze yet. I was soaked - in fact, nearly 3 hours later, having just got home and changed, I am only just drying out and warming up now. It wouldn't surprise me if I came down with pneumonia tomorrow!

Back to the lesson - after being dried off, my knees were a little shaky for the start of the lesson but sorted themselves out.

Perimeter Stroking: I can do the requisite six strokes on the second side of the rink once I have some speed up, but its tonnes more than that on the first side at the moment. Need to work on power.
Forward Crossovers: I need to pigeon toe the crossing foot more instead of turning it out, so it is pointing in the direction of travel. CW still my weaker side, but gradually getting stronger.
Backward Crossovers: D had hovering hands, but managed a circle CW on my own! The other side felt good and was almost "magic hand" free.
Russian Stroking: Difficult to tell really as very busy rink. Was trying to concentrate on the point from last week about pushing off on the FO edge more to the side, rather than in the direction of travel. Think it was a little better.
Backward Russian Stroking: Hovering magic-hands but very light touch. Enjoyed doing this and now trying to ensure that I do a nice wide step to the side before the BXO.
3-turns: FO3's weren't bad - I think I am finally finding that backward edge more stable. FI3's weren't all that. I told D that I can do them near the barrier, so she made me show her. She told me that it wasn't fear that was stopping me, rather that I am using the barrier as a reference point for the turn. She also said that i shouldn't see it as a failure that I need the barrier - the turn is happening, and as it gets more and more committed to muscle memory, then it will happen. However, I do need to work on not dropping my free hip, and making sure my weight is nearer the front of the blade.
Mohawks: Ironically, the side (Left) that started out the weaker, is now my stronger - weird! They weren't bad - pointers were to try and transfer the weight more quickly and to also bring my arms round as I go into the turn. The arms feel much like a 3-turn does. Bringing the arms round actually helped me transfer the weight more quickly anyway, so a win-win situation!
Forward Cross-rolls: Part of my homework for this week is to work on the depth of bend in these, and to increase knee bend as I cross over, hopefully to enable a more powerful push onto the other leg.

Another busy class, and I stayed for quite a while afterwards working on FI3's and Mohawks.

I have started thinking about the way I use the barrier for reference on my FI3's and started working on finding my own point of reference. Eventually I started getting it, and doing the turn, so I think I am on the right track. I was tired and extremely cold though, so didn't push myself too hard.

I am now off to bed, ready for my 5.30 start!

6 comments:

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

I only do really good Mohawks and LFI3s when using the barrier as reference - sure, I can do them anywhere, but somehow using the barrier as reference does help.

Amanda said...

Mohawks don't bother me too much. I think I can do them (such as they are at present!) anywhere.

It's just those dratted FI3's!

Rookie on Ice said...

Try using hockey circles or other lines on the ice as references. I was having troubles with FO3s until my instructor had me pick a reference spot on the ice. Help with mohawks too. That way there's no chance of running into the barrier!

Amanda said...

I have tried on hockey circles but it hasn't made any difference so far! Luckily, I don't have the same issue with mohawks or FO3's.

It's more about where I look, rather than what my feet are doing - now I know what I am doing, it is beginning to get a little better. As my coach says, half the battle is knowing what you are doing wrong!

Anonymous said...

Regarding perimeter stroking
It helps to mark where each stroke goes. So (assuming you have hockey markings?), 1st stroke to the edge of the hockey circle
Second stroke to the blue line
3rd stroke to center line
4th stroke to other blue line
5th stroke to edge of hockey circle
6th stroke to other edge of hockey circle

Also spend time practicing starting from a Tstop - getting a really good push comes from a *deep* kneebend. And don't waste movement/energy pushing too far behind you, remember the stroke is 45 degrees, not straight behind.

3turn
(being pedantic, as usual)

Amanda said...

Not pedantic at all!

Helpful actually - I already do the "marking" on my forward edges (to fit the requisite six in) but hadn't thought to do it on my forward stroking. I'll give it a bash!