Nice Lesson
After having had to cancel my lesson last week, it was nice to get back to it today.
We did:
Perimeter Stroking: It feels like my stroking is improving all the time which is great. On the three forward crossovers at each end, I need to get a better line on my free leg before crossing it over. I also need to work on the presentation bit at the end - D wants me to do the one foot glide to the centre of the rink, whilst turning my shoulders and arms towards the (for now, imaginary) judges. It's all about keeping those stomach muscles tight, and turning the rib cage!
Russian Stroking: A new thing for me! Stroking with alternating forward crossovers, ie. LFO, RXO, LFI, RFO, LXO, RFI . . . and repeat. Enjoyed this a lot.
Backward Crossovers in Figure of 8: Once again, managed the CW BXO's all by myself! They are feeling so much smoother now - it's fab! CCW BXO's still need a little assistance but they are getting there slowly as well. The backward one foot glide between the two lobes feels rather wobbly though. However, I think I am finally ready to practice BXO's ON MY OWN! We shall soon find out on Friday :)
Forward Crossovers in Figure of 8: I was pleased with these today, mostly because I can now do them CW (my weaker side) without having to slow down. As said on the perimeter stroking, I need to work on my free leg extension before doing the crossover, but a definite improvement.
Forward Outside & Inside Edges: Did these with the swing through of the leg. They got better once I remembered to extend my leg nicely and also the timing - so legs should be together at the "apex" of the semi-circle and extend to the front for the second half of the semi-circle. We then did these as they are done in the first level of Field Moves - outside edges up one side of the rink, and inside edges down the other. You have to do them in even numbers, ie. 4, 6 or 8 down the length. D said I should be able to do them in six, but I have to work on getting more power in the push as they were falling a little short of target!
Backward Outside Edges: Wobby to say the least. And tiny little circles! I am trying to get the push so I don't cheat on them and try and do it with two feet for half the semi-circle :)
Forward 3-turns: Well, I predicted that after all the hard work I put in with my FO3's that these would go to pot in front of my coach, and I was absolutely correct! I just couldn't get the weight over my skating leg after the turn and kept falling off the edge. Aaargh! She still said there was an improvement but I know I can do them so much better! FI3's were crap. Full stop. But I haven't worked these at all in the last two weeks - plan on starting that now.
Mohawks: She was pleased with these, which made up for my diabolical 3-turns! I need to speed up the transfer to prevent the skiddy bits, and now try and hold the BI edge after the turn. But D was happy, saying it can take some people months to work them out, so I was happy too :)
Sorry, this must be turning into the most tedious post ever! Anyway fab lesson, although now I am doing the BXO's on my own more and more, my knees get really trembly I think from the pent up fear! Stayed for the rest of patch, very crossly doing my FO3's which thankfully decided to make a reappearance, and mohawks.
Group lessons started again this evening so patch finished early. And it felt really strange to see the group people come in. Said hello to a couple of them which was nice. But it wasn't so long ago that it was me coming in to a group class, watching the patch session!
Friday to next Wednesday I am on annual leave. Yay! That means four days at Ally Pally and the Littlest Rink on Sunday evening. And it will be nice to be fresh and relaxed on my lesson next Wednesday rather than my usual after work knackeredness :) When did it become that school holidays became my priority for booking annual leave, ie. avoiding them at all costs so the rink was empty?!


6 comments:
It didn't take me months to learn mohawks, it took me *years*. You are doing great!
3turn
you seem to be catching on fast with the mohawks - that's great!!! They are fun and feel so nice when done right. :)
So, it seems that 3 turns are harder than mohawks. I'll be learning 3-turns soon. You're tips are very helpful!
have fun skating on leave!
3-turn - Thank you! I tend to get a little frustrated that the things I work on are never as good in front of my coach, and that improvement is never as quick as I would like it to be. But she keeps telling me that she can see me progressing nicely. Your words of encouragement really help!
Thanks Rookie - I can't wait to have a few days off work. I feel very much in need! I have a fair few days off between now and Christmas which is lovely.
My coach has always maintained that people tend to be either a 3-turn person, or a mohawk person (myself obviously being a mohawk person!). She tells me the reason I find 3-turns hard is because of my extensive natural turnout (and hence also why mohawks have come easier). You never know, you may find them simple! Good luck when you get to them :)
My daughter was the same - she found mohawks easier than 3-turns. I found 3-turns easier (although if I have to turn at speed I find Mohawks easier).
Husband said the ice at AP was really nice on Wednesday evening - he went up for the dance club; I has planned to go but felt really tired so didn't.
The ice is very good at the moment - I've just spent most of today up there as well.
They've somehow managed to level off the really bumpy bits so they are not so bad now, by being careful where they've laid water down.
Post a Comment