Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Simple Skate

I am currently residing in my friends flat at the moment, looking after their cat, whilst they are away sunning themselves in the Maldives.

So today I went up to the Littlest Rink in the afternoon, rather than my usual evening slot. It is a longer journey from where I am temporarily, so I thought that even going to a busy afternoon session would be better than not going at all cos I don't want to go out in the evening! I also went with my new flatmate, and it is always nice to have company - although the combination of a very busy rink, the usual twat's on hockey skates and teaching her to skate backward, I didn't get too much done myself! However, sometimes it is nice to just skate . . . .

So not much to report really - a few 3-turns (which went well), a few mohawks (likewise), a couple of barrelrolls, some power pushes, some FXO's and the usual playing around on my edges which is always a good fallback for busy rinks!


I am now snuggled up on the sofa, dipping into a Chocolate Banoffee Gü Pud, which is just heavenly. Incidently, Gü are sponsoring the open air ice skating rink at the Natural History Museum!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, just started reading your blog. Inspiring for another one who hasn't been skating for about 10 years, but who knew her tricks back in the days ;)
I was just wondering, which skates and blades are you using? Thinking about getting a new pair myself (the ones you hire can barely be called skates) :)
m

Amanda said...

Hi M - always nice to see a new person popping by!

My skates are Reidell Blue Ribbon with Wilson Excel blades. They came as a set and I got them immediately, as rentals crucify me. They have lasted me well (coming up to 15 months) but will have to upgrade shortly. In the UK, a lot of new skaters also get put in Risport RF4's, but they do tend to be narrow.

Anonymous said...

Tnx, do you know anywhere in London selling Riedell skates? A lot of people seem to like them. I've also heard that Risports are a bit narrow... My old ones were WIFA, quite good as well. :)

Amanda said...

I'm afraid I don't - I took the rather risky move of ordering them off the internet (from Everglides), but luckily they fitted okay. The owner was very helpful and I did have some correspondence with him about the measurements of my feet.

There is a skate shop near Queensway ice rink called the London Skate Shop, where you can be fitted for skates.

BTW, which rink will you be skating at?

Clare O said...

I'm skating at the Natural History Museum rink tomorrow evening so will now hope that there are free puds on offer :)

Amanda said...

I know they have a hot chocolate stall, but not sure if it is free or not!

Anonymous said...

Where I'll be skating, now that is a good question... ;) Only just moved to London, so still trying to figure out where all the rinks are! :) Went to Queensway once, think that might be the closest one for me to go to. Kinda expensive tho...any cheaper ones?

Amanda said...

I live in North London so have coaching at Alexandra Palace - £5 for patch, and £6-7 for public.

However, I also practice just down the road at the Sobell Centre in Holloway. It's a tiny rink, the ice is terrible, but it's only £3.70 per session :)