More new things!
Lesson time once again (these weeks are rolling around quickly at the moment) and a few more new things today.
Perimeter Stroking: It appears that the tip about pointing my knee in the direction of travel rather than the foot has really helped on the FXO's - thank you 3turn! Now, I have to smooth the movement out - almost like a swing through and cross, instead of what I am doing at the moment which is to bring the free foot to my skating ankle and pausing before crossing over.
Forward Crossovers - Fig. 8: This was actually where she picked up on the smoothness of the FXO's. The second time I did it, they felt much better and I also need to maximise my (apparently nice) extension before crossing over.
Backward Crossovers - Fig. 8: Not bad! I even did these on the hilly bit of the rink without flinching too much. I have always disliked the backward glide in between and suddenly it all seemed better when D told me it was just a glide back in the landing position. It's funny how something small can completely change your perception :) My weaker side on the BXO's is also feeling a little more coordinated now, especially once I get going.
BXO's to a sustained inside or outside edge: The sustained BO edge wasn't bad - it feels like I am a little more over the edge now, and I can hold it quite well. The BI edges not so good - the bad side is catching up, but it is still bad! It still just feels like a weird position, but I know I'll get used to it. I have to think about just lifting the undercrossed leg up, rather than twisting into some weird and warped position!
Crossrolls: Better now I am doing smaller curves - the momentum keeps going, especially when I hit that outside edge on the cross. For dancey ones, D told me I need to think about keeping my weight over the free leg rather than the skating leg.
Power pushes: Just pushing off from both feet with a deep knee bend and strong extension and seeing how far I can go. A little pathetic at the moment, but something to work on to get more "oomph".
3-turns & mohawks: All just about playing ball, but have been better.
Barrel rolls: A new thing! I thought these were going to be horrible, but I actually quite enjoyed them and managed some on my own, small though they may have been! Basically a mohawk onto a BI edge, cross the free foot over and then step from backwards to forward. The main thing for me on these at the moment is to make sure that each movement is defined, so it doesn't become a spinny muddle. Pleased at how I did on these for a first go :)
Novice Foxtrot: Not bad - still leaving my bum sticking out a bit on the swings. I think this is mostly due to getting used to swinging the leg through and not feeling like my leg underneath is going to come flying up as well.
Canasta Tango: Someone else was doing this today, so I got to try it to music for the first time! Heck, it sounds so much faster when you are actually doing it! On the long axis, I actually managed to keep with it quite well, but lost it a bit on the crossover on the corner, into the cross swingy thing. But so much fun!!!
A good lesson, considering I was a little weary when I got there. D has also told me to start practicing the position of the Ina Bauer at home so I can get comfortable doing it on the ice. A possible element for my first program . . . .


No comments:
Post a Comment