Another packed lesson!
I didn't skate during the day today, as I had my usual lesson this evening on patch.
However, I did go and have ten inches taken off my hair today! It was waist length and is now shoulder length, so my head is feeling very light and airy!
We seemed to cover absolutely loads in my lesson today, so this could be a long post!
Perimeter Stroking: Good, apart from the damn foot on the FXO's that won't point in the right direction. This is a recurring theme in everything from this, through to dances. My Achilles Heel I think.
BXO's - sustained outside edge: Still getting more and more comfortable with the BXO's, but I do find it easier when I have a bit of speed up on them.
BXO's - sustained inside edge: Feeling not too bad on the right foot, but left foot still feels weird. I did some near the barrier after my lesson, and am beginning to get the hang of it I think.
Drag: These were actually better after my lesson. I even managed to get all the way down on my dodgy knee! It appears these have done wonders for my kneecaps :) I do need to keep my left shoulder and hip pushed forward though.
Forward Crossrolls: Need a lot more "Oomph" on these - one of my goals for next week is to put more power into everything.
Backward Crossrolls: A new thing, and oh, these are evil, even holding onto my coach! Any tips, please!!!
Continuous Backward Outside Edges: Still with support from my coach, but feeling progress on these now and certainly a little more secure. The curves are getting bigger too.
Bunnyhops: Work of the devil, but okay. Apparently I need to be a little less "delicate" on them . . . :)
Two foot spin: Trying to get the arms sorted out on these now, so I open my arms and then pull them in at the right time. Then, D told me to try and lift one foot, and on we went to a . . .
One foot spin: Scary, but fun! The foot doesn't stay up very long, but there was one when I suddenly hit the right bit of my blade which was wonderful. I felt a little like I was falling forward, so some practice to feel where I am balanced. But a one foot spin - yay!
Three jump: To add to the excitement, we tried these on the barrier. I do get it, and can feel where I need to pull myself up after the jump as at the moment I am falling forward.
Three turns and Mohawks: Not bad - been better, but not bad. They seem to be getting a little faster now, which is good. D started mentioning learning dances with Mohawk's in - uh oh!
Novice Foxtrot: Not bad - still that foot pointing in the wrong direction on the progressives!
Canasta Tango: I had taught myself the rest of it correctly, which was a relief :) First time round was a little tentative (it was a busy patch which didn't help), and the second time felt a lot better. I need to make sure that the cross swingy thing on the short axis has a deeper curve, in accordance with the pattern. There were a couple of small corrections on the chasse's as well - the open chasses need to be with a parallel foot to the ice (I try and point my feet for everything - blame it on ballet!) and without any push. I was also a little tentative with the slip chasse's, placing one foot on the ice before sliding the other one forward, rather than an instant transfer, but this did improve massively on the second runthrough. We have also added "tango arms" to the preliminary strokes running into it :)
I am frozen now - waiting for a bus coming home was purgatory, and it's not like I have my hair to keep me warm anymore! So enjoying a nice hot cup of tea, in front of Eurosport, where they are showing the highlights of the 2007 Ice Gala at the Ingolstadt Saturn Arena. Very entertaining, not to mention inspiring!


5 comments:
Wow, that is quite some hair cut!!
Not my most drastic though . . .
Four years ago, I could just about sit on my hair, and I had 15 inches taken off. My hair does grow like the clappers though :)
However, it is now the shortest it has been for 20 years!
cool, i love the one foot spin
I have the exact same issues with XOs/progressives - it comes from naturally open hips. Think about leading with your toe, not your heel. Or think about pointing your knee in appropriate direction. I bet you do the same thing on swing rolls (leading with the heel). Think about swing *through* not *around*.
3turn
Thanks 3turn - that's a really good point about thinking about the direction of my knee when doing the progressives / XO's. I have very open hips and my feet very naturally turn out.
Luckily not too much of an issue (yet!) on swingrolls but I shall bear what you said in mind!
Post a Comment