Monday, July 30, 2007

Skating Mojo still with me!

Yes, I have a new term for my current skating high - it's my Skating Mojo!

Went down to the Littlest Rink with Stacey this evening. I rarely go on Monday's now as it is often busy, but it wasn't too bad.

And do you know what - the first RFI3 I tried WORKED!!! I mean, they are a little hit-and-miss (about two thirds are successful) - but I have rarely managed to do any three turns straight off like that! I also did some work on the left ones - I got one to work, but on the whole these are lagging behind.

As promised, phase one of the BXO Strategy Plan started today. I started off with the backward crossovers (and I have to admit, these weren't the best they have been - a little toepicky today) with the necessary fingertip on Stacey's hand. And I managed to do a few without no fingertips! Yay!!!! Next time, I will increase how many (Phase 2!) and hopefully will have got a little less toepicky again. Apparently I had an absolute look of horror on my face when I took my fingertip off, but at least it happened!

Otherwise, much the same as yesterday - lots of whizzing around till I got out of breath (gotta love that aerobic workout feeling!) doing everything from forward stroking, all the way through to cross-rolls. Stacey even commented that she has never seen me look so confident on the ice before, which was encouraging.

Unfortunately, I am a little worried that I have been injured slightly. On the bus journey to the rink, the bus driver slammed the brakes on, and I went crashing into the partition in front of us (rather like when you see cartoon characters slamming into windows!). The impact hit my chest and forced my head to the right. I didn't make a fuss at the time because the driver was checking up on an elderly lady, and I only had a bruised arm (a nice imprint of a hand pole!), but since getting back from skating, my right shoulder and neck are getting stiffer and stiffer and it all feels a bit congested.

We shall see how it is in the morning. In the meantime, I have emailed the bus company to tell them what happened.

6 comments:

Rookie on Ice said...

yay!! way to go on your BXOs! keep it up! I've been working on them since the instructor prematurely introduced them two months ago. As for the toepick, I have the same problem - makes for some noisy crossovers! I have to conciously tell myself to pick up the toepick first and then the back of the skate. My instructor explained it as we walk heel to toe. Going backwards we need to think backwards: toe then heel.

Sorry to hear about your accident! Just relax for a bit nad maybe stretch your neck and arms a bit more before going on the ice.

Amanda said...

Thanks Kim! I've had such a mental block on the BXO's for so long, that it is really nice to make small steps forward (backward!) on them. I've decided that's the way to go - small steps to build up to complete independent BXO's
:-D

I have been doing a lot of stretches, but my neck and shoulders still feeling very sore today. I have a couple of sore ribs too - not cracked or anything, but definitely bruised!

NIUiceprincess said...

I used to have toepicky back crossovers too, and my coach pointed out that I tended to lean over too much. Holding your shoulders back is the key!

Amanda said...

Mine tend to go through phases - most of the time (with the magic finger), they feel quite smooth now.

I think yesterday, cos I was lifting the magic finger away, perhaps it made me tense up a bit. It's working on getting them feeling as smooth and stable without the finger, as with it!

Clare O said...

Glad to hear the bw crossover fairy was sprinkling her magic dust on both of us this week :)

Hope you feel ok after the accident- get yourself checked out if not. Best to be on the safe side.

Clare

Amanda said...

Thanks Clare! Been aching in various places today - ribs, shoulders, a particularly tender spot over my left shoulder and a bit of a stiff neck.

. . . sigh . . .