Thursday, July 26, 2007

BXO Strategy Planning

I had what was probably my last group lesson this evening (never say never!).

Yet another coach (the third one in as many weeks) - one of the "Elite's" this time. It can be confusing with all these different coaches as they tell you different things, but he gave some really good advice on 3-turns.

It was also test week, but as I am not there yet with the 3-turns and backward crossovers, I opted out.

Backward Crossovers: Still on the one finger but barely touching! I have a strategy for this, but more about that in a minute. Yet another coach telling me they are good, but hey, what can you do when your brain throws a big wobbler!
Forward Inside 3-turns: The coach showed how to break this into three very clean steps and it actually felt much more secure than normal. Either that, or that entry inside edge along with the rotation is just coming a little more naturally now. I did a couple of titchy ones - they were actually more successful last week, but felt more stable this week, if that makes sense? Mind you, I have realised that not much really makes much sense in this strange world of skating! On these little blighters, it is the one time I like getting different opinions of how to do them - P's advise was to (on a RFI3) start on the inside edge, left arm in front, leg extended behind. Step 2 - bring the free foot in behind the skating foot and at the same time change arms so right arm in front, and prerotate. Step 3 is the turn. I like this way - it makes sense in my head when I start with an extended free leg.
Continuous Curves: Fine - my outside edges are getting a little steeper on this now as well, so I can vary the size of the curves. It was always a small problem that my outside edges while there, were not very "curvy" but that is improving all the time.

And that was about it for today.

I have booked my first private - a week on Tuesday. Is it strange that I am ridiculously excited about starting private coaching? Decided to go for the full half hour, rather than breaking myself in gently with 15 minutes. I would also like to issue an advance apology to my bank manager . . . things are about to get hairy :)

Strategy for backwards crossovers (I really, really want to get these by the time I start lessons!) is to go skating with Stacey at least three times over the next 12 days. The first one, I will start off with the magic finger, and then once into my rhythmn, get her to take her hand away slowly. Session 2 - the same, but quicker in the finger removal. Session 3 - have her there with her hand out, but I am not allowed to touch it at all. Time to get extra firm with myself . . .

No comments: