Monday, July 09, 2007

A lovely last day off

My last "day off skate" for a while and it was fab today.

First of all, they appear to have sorted the ice out at Ally Pally which was pretty dreadful for a couple of weeks. There was a couple of lumpy bits round the edges, but on the whole it was lovely and smooth today - beautiful!

As I decided yesterday, today was mostly concentrating on those pesky forward inside 3-turns. And once again, there is slow improvement on these. I am remembering the transfer from an inside to an outside edge and the free foot pushing (just a little now) further behind me on the turn. I also found out something else today that was not working - I was doing something weird with my head. When I did the prerotation, my head was turning as it should do to look behind me, but then when I did the turn, it was whipping all the way back again, so I was looking over my other shoulder! Now, I do the prerotation, my head turns with my shoulders, and then it stays in the same place while my hips turn underneath. Much better! The turn is happening every time now (except for the few times where the entry doesn't feel so secure). I now have to crack the exit out of the turn as I feel horribly insecure at the moment. Most of the time at the moment, I am very slow and cautious so do the turn and stop due to no momentum left :) But progress! However, the progress is mostly on my RFI3's - my left side needs to do a little catch up.

So, most of my time was on the 3-turns, but I did some other stuff as well. Forward crossovers, edges, continuous curves, some FO3's and cross-rolls. I am beginning to really love cross-rolls and I think they are beneficial to forward crossovers as well. If you feel secure on the cross-rolls, you are gonna feel secure on FXO's!! I am really trying to make sure that I crossover onto that outside edge and getting a nice swing through of my free leg. They are a little slow, but not bad, and the curves on the outside edge are getting bigger. Lovely stuff!

Back to work tomorrow though, and some 'orrible meeting to greet me back. Joy. And I have skated an amazing seven days out of the last nine, and now have to go back to three times a week. Sigh . . .

No comments: