Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Penultimate Group Lesson - for ever?!

First lesson in two weeks today, after last week was cancelled. And a different coach as well - no idea where the usual one was, but never mind!

Today I did:
Backward Crossovers: Yes, a different coach telling me that I do them well but still not on my own. To be fair, we only did my weaker side anyway, and that is down to the one finger now as well, so I am very close. I do feel that I could do them reasonably happy CW on my own - I will have to work on this when I next practice.
Forward Inside 3-turns: Ladies and gentleman - I did some RFI3's! All that pracice that I did a week and a half ago has paid off. They are slow, but I am turning and gliding backwards a short distance! Can't say the same for my LFI3's. The skiddy bit is happening though (which wasn't before), so I think they will eventually come. I did some LFI3's holding onto the coaches hands, and they felt good, but I will have to continue practicing them a lot. At least doing them with the coach helped me see what they felt like. She also advised that when I do the turn, I need to reach out to my fingertips on the arm now at the back, which should stop me falling too much over my BI edge. I think it is helping.
Forward Continuous Inside & Outside edges: No problems. Just need to make sure that I control the inside edges - it is easy to go too steeply into them.
Crossrolls: Beginning to feel quite controlled, but I think I need to build up some speed on them. I do enjoy these.

It is test week next week, but I am not too bothered if I am not ready for it . . .

BECAUSE I START PRIVATE LESSONS IN TWO WEEKS! I am so excited about this, I can't tell you. And the good news is that I originally thought that I would have D throughout the summer and then change to a new one as our timetables didn't coincide, but it seems I will be able to work around that, as long as I leave work promptly on a Wednesday. We are going to start off with 15 minutes to break me in gently, and then see if half an hour, or splitting them into two 15 minute sessions on the patch is the best way. I'd be interested to hear how all your lessons are scheduled?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

I have a half hour lesson once a week. I used to have just 15 minutes but found that wasn't really long enough by the time you have a chat and do a couple of things its over. Still it is all teaching time just for you so I think you probably learn a lot more than with group lessons.

Gill

Amanda said...

Hmmmm - I think that it will most likely end up being half an hour as well (sorry, Bank Manager!). But I do like the idea of splitting it up into two sessions in one patch. Learn a bit, practice a bit, learn a bit more, go and practice it!

NIUiceprincess said...

Throughout the year I have a 40 minute group class, and our rink holds a 15 minute practice before and after the group class (included in the group class fees). And for the practice session after the group class, I have a 15 minute private lesson. It helps me reinfornce the learnings from the group class.

However, this summer I am doing private lessons and contract ice . So I bought an hour of freestyle ice every early Saturday morning, and the first 1/2 hour is me warming up and practicing, and the next half is the lesson with the same coach I do the 15 minutes with through out the year.

I think I like the individualized attention much better, but it is more expensive than taking the group class =( so I will be returning to that after the summer. The big reason I did privates is because the summer session is on Saturdays from 10:50 - 12:15 am, and I want my days still ahead of me!

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity I'd be interested to know what people pay for private lessons. I am assuming that they would probably be more expensive in London as most things are.

Ours are £7.50 for 15 minutes having just gone up from £7.00. I don't think thats too bad really I used to pay around £45 for 6 weeks when I did the group lessons.

Gill

Clare O said...

I have half an hour Wednesday morning, half an hour Wednesday evening and half an hour Friday morning. Wow, looking at that written down- why am I still rubbish?!

Clare

Amanda said...

Ours are on average around the £7.50 mark for 15 minutes as well. It doesn't sound bad, but it adds up when you factor in having to pay for patch as well. A half hour lesson would be £20.

Gordon said...

I have a half-hour lesson a week. My coach is pretty highly scheduled (the good ones are! :-)) so making changes is difficult. Back in the good old days at my old rink I had two lessons a week, but I had more practice time then.

Most coaches around here (Portland, OR, USA) seem to be charging $25 - $30/half hour.

Anonymous said...

Sesms to be roughly the same wherever then. Our patch is £1 for 15 minutes but I usually buy a 10 hour patch card for £34 which works out a bit cheaper.

Gill

Anonymous said...

I have half hour lessons too. At first this was almost too long - I didn't have all that much to work on, plus my stamina was so bad I was completely exhausted afterwards. But now it seems too short. I wish I could do 45 or 60 min lessons. Hmmmm. Something to think about.
3turn

NIUiceprincess said...

I pay $13 for 15 minutes and $25 for half hour for private lessons, and then the ice time of $12.50 an hour (or half that for 30 mins). The group classes (40 minutes, 6 skaters at most to 1 coach) are cheaper, for freestyle 1 and up it is $135 for 8 classes including the ice time. They give you a $4 discount if you've been taking classes for more than 2 sessions now. For beginning adults it is $125.

Rookie on Ice said...

Learn to Skate classes at my rink are $45 for six 30-minute classes, plus you get a public skating pass, that can be used as many times as you want for the duration of the class (6-8weeks). Total Deal!!

Private Lessons are $20-40/half hour + ice time ($6-ish for freestyle, $3.50 for public).

to save even more money there is an annual public skate pass good at 3 area rinks for $125.

Amanda said...

The annual public skate pass sounds like a good thing Kim.

I can get an annual PATCH pass which includes all public sessions as well, but that's just under £600 a year!