Half a 3-turn!
Back up to Ally Pally for class today, after it was closed last week for the bike show. It was nice to be back learning again.
We only did two things today - backward chasses and the dreaded 3-turns.
Backward Chasses - after doing these for a few minutes, these are become more comfortable now. I am even managing not to stamp the "chasse" foot back down in a panic so it has an element of self-control. I want to get more push now on the backwards stroke. Still accelerating backwards rather fast around the downhill portion of the hockey circle though - I don't know why I am accelerating so fast, no-one else seems to!
3-turn - well, if you are one of my regular readers, you will know my frustrated feelings well by now! But today, perhaps a little improvement. The coach told me to get away from the barrier for a start, and I found it wasn't so scary to try them without something to hold onto. In fact it's better as I am getting a larger curve into it, and I am turning, but then I grind to a halt. There is no semblance of a backward inside edge whatsoever - just forward, turn and . . . . stop. It's not that that I am stopping myself with my free foot, rather I stop, and then put the free foot down. Maybe it's because I am waiting until I have almost stopped before trying it so I think I need to get my nerve up and go into it a little faster.
So, I am a little happier about the 3-turns and fairly satisfied with the backward chasses. This week I will focus on continuing to practice the 3-turns (of course!) and trying to go into them with a little more speed. I have the feel of the "winding up" and letting your hips untwist naturally, so it's getting there, one step at a time!
I was chatting to one of the coaches who was telling me that Stephen Gately and Kyran Bracken had been up at the rink practicing for next Saturday's Dancing On Ice. Apparently Stephen's routine is really good this week - it's a shame he looks so nervous on the night, she said that he looks really good when he is practicing it. Mind you, I think I would be terrified skating on television, in front of millions of eyes! I might have to take a day off work soon and go up to the rink to take a sneaky peek within the next couple of weeks . . .


4 comments:
Hi Amanda,
Just found your blog (through a link on Kay's Figure Skating Journal). I started Skate UK in May last year, so am just a few weeks ahead of you.
Hang in there with those three turns! The FO3 took me three months to learn to do properly, but what others have said is true - it will eventually fall into place if you keep practising. The work you put in now on the FO3 will pay off when you come to learn the FI3, which ends on a backward outside edge and is much more scary!
Hi Louise - thanks for dropping by!
Thank you for your encouragement. I can feel them slowly coming together, I think I just need a little more patience.
And I'm trying not to contemplate the FI3's yet . . . :-)
The good thing about starting on FI3s? FO3s suddenly feel like the easiest things in the world :)
Hi Clare - I am quite looking forward to finding FO3's so easy cos the FI3's are hard!
Post a Comment