Tricky bits!
I was my coach's only student today, and my lesson ended up extending to 55 minutes (from the scheduled 30 minutes!). I think I might be a little achey tomorrow . . .
Today we did a little bit on Level 1 FM's, started doing lots of bits that may or may not make it into my first program (yay!), and then ended with some dances.
Forward & Backward Crossovers in Fig 8: Instead of bullying me to go faster, D actually pushed me around in the BXO's - jeez, it was hairy. It's going to take some work to get them that fast! Bottled the 3-turn in the middle, and then realised today that it is going straight down a hill, which doesn't help me align myself exactly! Did it on a flat bit, and it was okay. Hopefully I will be testing at Lee Valley anyway, so slopey bits won't be an issue! My BXO's are getting incrementally faster each week, just nowhere near as fast yet as she wants it to be :(
Ina Bauer: Did some of these away from the barrier for the first time today. Slow, and curvy, but beginning to get a feel for them.
Twizzles: I can do alternating single twizzles, but not mastered a double one yet, even on my good side.
Teapots: Well, the first bit anyway - just the bending right down hugging my knees. There was no hope in hell that one of my legs was going to extend forward today! Fell on my bum right into a puddle as well. Did it forward and backward - backward feels very strange.
Drag: Did some good ones today which I was pleased about.
Spins: Did my best ever spin today from spiralling into it, so we moved onto doing a proper spin entrance, with the whole tight BXO's into steep BI edge and stepping forward into the spin. Doing it with a stabilising foot before the spin first, but looking forward to practicing these and taking the foot away from the ice! Oh, and the exit as well, stepping onto a BO edge.
Changes of Edge: Found the FO to FI okay - enjoyed these. FI to FO is much, much harder, although easier on my right leg.
Toe Steps: Gosh these are hard - I keep coming off my toepicks and can feel my feet trying to shoot out in front of me. Just doing them going backwards at the moment, but she eventually wants me to do them while turning.
Forward Progressives: I wanted to do these, as they make dances much easier than trying to do FXO's. I have to put my free foot down on the ice ahead of and in line with my skating foot. That bit is okay but I am not getting a very good underpush - it seems that foot is gliding backwards rather than pushing out sideways underneath me.
Novice Foxtrot: She told me to do this to the Foxtrot that was playing and I just about managed to keep up. She then told me afterwards that it was a different, much faster foxtrot, so not too bad I think!
Canasta Tango: Mostly in time now, apart from that last little bit with the cross swing rolly thing going into the next sequence.
Dutch Waltz: Second time of having music on just for me, and actually the first time doing this one to music at all :) I do like this dance, and it felt lovely doing it to music and I managed to keep in time as well.
Rhythm Blues: Need to work out where the lilted run is in this, but not bad considering I haven't done this one much. Even managed to do the cross behinds (whilst gritting my teeth)!
So a very packed and very long lesson, and very wet for part of it as well! Lots of new things for me to practice too. Although I really need to focus on basics like getting that 3-turn faster for my field moves, along with faster BXO's.
And I wonder how frustrating it is for coaches teaching adults sometimes - I know that I look frankly quite terrified sometimes trying these new things, but that's the peril of being an adult - you know potentially how much something can hurt! I tend to get over the fear of something much quicker now, but new things can be scary! I even had my coach clucking at me today . . . :)


2 comments:
Oh I *love* it when DB pushes me around to get me up to speed. Occasionaly we'll do stroking and XOs hand in hand and the speed is exhilarating - in that ohmigoddes I'm about to die way.
3turn
Ohmigoddes is about right! Maybe I will come to love it. . . :)
Post a Comment