Spinning direction . . . inconclusive
We spent some time in my lesson today trying to work out which way I spin more naturally. And the conclusion was . . . inconclusive. Some things I prefer one way, other things another. I do know that when I tried a very hesitant "leftie" spin, I immediately found the right spot on my blade, which I don't think I've EVER managed on the other side, but still. I don't even know if its because I am left footed, or if its because I spin stronger clockwise due to years of ballet. Sigh . . . lots of spinning in both directions now every time I skate, so we can work it out. At the moment it does feel very odd to spin "leftie" but that's probably because I've never gone that way before on skates!
My lessons have now been lengthened, so we can fit even more stuff in.
Level 2 mohawk exercise: It is getting better, but D tells me the reason I can't do mohawks at speed is because I am still spending too much time on two feet in between. I did a couple of isolated mohawks trying to do a faster weight switch, and yes I can see her point.
Mohawk into BXO's: In an effort to get this horrible (for me) mohawk transition on the Level 1 Field Moves, we did lots of these . . . . at speed. Okay - she has to give me the magic hand to do these at the moment, cos I still can't do them fast, but apparently we are going to do lots of these at every lesson, so I can get these darned Level 1 Field Moves out of the way. Joy . . . . Getting more speed up on BXO's today as well, as D was pulling my inside arm into the circle - that bigger step in doesn't half make you go faster! After the Terror(mo)hawks, she asked if I was going to write nasty things about her on my blog. Never :)
Backward Cross in fronts: No idea if that is the proper name, but I am sure you get the idea. All about getting my knee bend in the right place. The cross doesn't really bother me, but the outside edge does a little.
Backward Inside Edges: Little ones, again with a down-up-down motion and really deep knee bend. I liked these!
Spinning: In all directions, in three different ways . . . yep, we still don't know. D is praying that I am a "normal" skater, I have a feeling I'm not. Yay.
Dutch Waltz: Working on the other dance for the BAC's today - haven't done this for quite a while in a lesson. In fact, we put the introduction on it (very floaty with pivots and whatnot) and then when we went to do it to music (not having done it without), my darling coach put the Westminster Waltz on instead by mistake. So I went haring through the Dutch Waltz to music far to fast for it. She was quite impressed that I more or less managed to keep up! But doing it that fast, it was technically quite deficient :)
Off to synchro tonight but my arm is still painful which stopped me doing it last week. I will try this week and see how it goes, but I am also full of headcold as well. Very deep sigh . . . I finally get my energy levels approaching normal, and now my head feels full of cottonwool. This could be fun on the wheely things.
Update: I was going to go to synchro, but decided its not sensible. My head feels like it is blocked up with very thick custard, my legs feel like jelly and I am suddenly quite tired. Not a good idea . . .


3 comments:
That level 2 Mohawk exercise is totally and utterly eeeeeeeeeeevil!!!! So are the level 2 3-turn exercises, and I'm supposed to be able to do them.
My coach says it doesn't matter slowing down a bit when you change between the forward and back crossovers (I asked, because I still have to!); I don't think you're supposed to stop, though.
As for spinning - being able to spin in both directions is Very Useful Indeed, and you will find a bidirectional spin choreographed into every free dance and other programme you do!
I would probably have been a clockwise skater had I started with free skating; as I started with dance, I learnt such jumps as I can do the conventional way, and have never bothered to change, but I still find turning clockwise easier! So one can be ambidextrous as a skater.
I don't find the Level 2 mohawk exercise, or the 3-turn exercises evil . . . as long as I don't have to do them fast! Actually, the 3-turn exercises I did the other day during practice and found them much improved which was a pleasant surprise!
That's good to know about the slowing down . . . .
Great blog you got here. I'd like to read something more concerning that theme. Thanks for posting this info.
Sexy Lady
Brunette escorts
Post a Comment