Bit of a journey but worth it
Yesterday morning, for the first time, I braved public transport to get me to Lee Valley (Stacey no longer rides on the weekends at the stables next door, so have to rely on my own methods again!). Actually its not too bad - 2 or 3 buses (depending if one is passing as I walk up Lee Bridge Road) and about 50 minutes. Could be worse.
I had a tummy bug on Thursday with nasty side effects, and went home at lunchtime to collapse. Fully recovered now though, and with all the sleep I have had over the last few days, my energy levels yesterday morning were sky-high and I had a really good skate.
I spent quite a lot of time doing basics as I skated for longer than normal - taking my forward crossovers back as we did in my lesson and doing the "dog weeing up a lamp-post" exercises that she showed me to help me get a lovely smooth crossing action on the crossover. Other basics as well - forward and backward Russian Stroking, changes of edge, one-foot slaloming, and backward crossovers, which dare I say it, are picking up speed more and more now. Beginning to feel the wind in my hair as I do them!!
I went through all my level one field moves, picking up those little niggly bits that can be improved. Holding spirals longer (well, starting them earlier, so I can hold them longer!), making sure every edge is finished as perfectly as I can, and making sure my landing position doesn't wonder off its outside edge at the end as it is prone to do on my right foot. Actually, I think I have sorted that as worked on it quite a bit - pushing my skating hip slightly more into the circle has helped a lot.
And then I did a lot of the Golden Skater's Waltz (sadly, on my own again after enjoying it so much dancing it with someone the other day - I need to find a dance club! Shame onAlexandra Palace for cancelling it . . . ). It is feeling much better and more "flowy". The chasse that I was practically bunnyhopping now feels smoother and like the inside edge really pushes me round the corner and I am really enjoying this dance now.
And then, as I was practicing the spiral bits we have put together for my free dance, I could see another adult skater was watching me. Later, as I was doing backward crossovers and landing positions, she came up to me and asked if I would consider coming along to try out the adult synchro team! Myself and D were talking about this only on Wednesday as she tells me it would be brilliant for my skating, but I have to think about it carefully as it would be more cost, and Lee Valley is not the easiest rink for me to get to. Still, I was really touched that I was approached about it yesterday!
Looking forward to tomorrow as will head over to the IJS at Lee Valley to go and watch our best ice dancers in action (CD's and OD's I think)! Anyone else going? Shame I didn't pre-plan and book Tuesday afternoon off work to go and watch the FD's - I wonder if I can persuade my boss at the last minute . . . .


4 comments:
We'll be there, if not right at the start then at least by 5:00 pm, and Fiona (frbskate63 on Livejournal) is there in an Official Capacity. Don't know if anybody else is going, though.
Streatham's Ice Dance Club is every Thursday, 7:00-8:00 pm, and you would be very welcome, I'm sure. I don't often go, as if I do I don't have the energy to skate on Friday morning, and that, right now, has been more important. But I might go while the coaches are away.
I think Queens have one on a Tuesday evening, ask Katherine (Kateskate).
Yay - I get to meet you at last Mrs R!! I'll be there from 3.30 so look out for the girl with long brown hair, shivering quite a bit by that point :)
I expect I shall have my knitting, some noise-makers (especially plastic clappers, it still hurts my thumb a bit to clap), and a purple lap-rug!
And we will talk you into coming to our dance club.
Look forward to it :)
Post a Comment