Another tired skate . . .
. . . but still not a bad lesson! I am off work all of next week, which I am really excited about (followed by my stint as Maid of Honour a week on Saturday - yay!) and want to get some good skating in, when I am in a refreshed state, rather than dead on my feet! Hopefully when someone has been appointed to my old job and I don't have to cover that one as well, I won't be so tired . . .
Still, onto my lesson:
Mohawk Exercise: This is getting better - still not particularly fast, but my mohawks are stronger, more balanced and I am holding the exit edges so much better now.
3-turn exercise (level 3 FM's?): The forward outside 3-turns are not too bad - like the mohawks, I am holding the exit edge much longer now. The backward inside 3-turns to come back the other way are horrible though! Played around with these on the barrier afterwards and I managed one very wobbly one without holding on, but they are eeeeevil!
Forward & Backward Slaloming: Better, particularly the two foot turn from back to front. I think that the turning from back to front on two feet recently has helped me get my one wobbly BI3 (above) . . .
Forward & Backward Crossovers in Fig 8.: About 3 seconds slower than the last time I did it, but I am about 50 times more tired, so will take that! Doing the whole exercise now in 1 minute 3 seconds - D wants it in 40 seconds for my test. Sigh . . .
Step Sequence: We went over the step sequence we started last week (not repeating it here again!) and much to my surprise, I managed to muddle my way through it, including the backward crossroll and a very, very dodgy outside mohawk (which actually is ending on an inside edge at the moment!). Trying to get my free leg over hip height and pretty while doing a backward ouside edge is interesting as well . . .
Golden Skaters Waltz: First time doing it ever on the ice, and I think D was surprised (as well as myself) that it actually wasn't bad at all!!! Even the cross in front and then behind wasn't as bad as I feared it to be. Almost breezy! That wide step is just UGLY though . . .
Rhythm Blues: What with wedding things, work things and general "can't get my head of the pillow to skate at 7.00am" things, this was the one thing that I really worked on yesterday - my solo practice since last weeks lesson. And D said she was very happy with it and how much it has improved. Even saying "Even in a competition, that would be passable". I can't tell you how happy that made me :) It did make me laugh though - she gave me a sheet of the pattern with notes she had written on it for me - the first one I saw was on the cross-behinds where it said "Relax shoulders. Don't hold breath". They are almost at the feeling okay stage now though, which is great.
Forward Upright Spin: Did just one as an afterthought today. Did two revs (pathetic I know) but D told me that it would actually have spun if I hadn't lost my nerve after a couple. I think I might be finally getting there . . .
So all in all, it was actually a very enjoyable lesson. It's typical really - the days I feel absolutely great, I normally end up splatting somewhere, and the days I am tired, actually go really well. Maybe it's because I have less expectations of what I can do?


4 comments:
I agree, the GSW wide step just never feels right to me no matter how much I do it!!
It's just so . . . inelegant, I think is the best way to describe it!
It isn't if you make sure you finish off the slide chassé first, then stay down in the knee and step on to a definite inside edge. Once you get it right, it stops feeling so clunky.
As for holding breaths and so on.... I don't think your coach was as bad as some folk competing the Kilian recently, who smiled beautifully until it came to the choctaw and then took on a look of utter horror as it approached.....
Oh, I can do the look of utter horror quite well as well! Luckily this seems to have disappeared on the cross-behinds, and I just have a slightly tense look!!!
Thanks for the tip on getting that wide-step to feel better. I still don't think that it ever looks particularly nice though!!!!
Post a Comment