Going easy on me
A lesson this evening, and my first time on the ice since my lesson last week, due to the Evil Winter Virus. D was well aware that I have been ill, so we took it easy today, with some basics and edge work, and running through three dances.
Perimeter Stroking: Instead of speed today, we focussed on nice extension and the length of each stroke. Felt quite good - my extension is quite good anyway - but I need to really sink into the knees between each one. Down to four strokes each side now!
Backward Stroking: This was great as this is the first time that my backward stroking has been concentrated on since about Level 4 of SkateUK! We worked on getting my weight transfer right over the skating leg, and getting a good push with the feet together and turned in, pushing right into the inside edge of the "propelling" foot. Not bad actually! We also tried some power pushes, doing one push, holding the free leg in front and seeing how far I could get. Of course, D manages to do about half the rink on one push, and I managed a comparitively pathetic 10 feet. But secretly I was quite pleased :)
Russian Stroking: Once I got that stupid foot pointing in the right direction on the FXO's, this felt nice today.
Backward Russian Stroking: Not having done this for a while, I felt a real improvement in this today. The BXO's felt quite smooth, and once D pointed out "You are meant to be getting faster, not slowing down!", I managed to put a bit more power into it.
Forward Crossrolls: Having feet that naturally want to point outwards on the FXO's (my "stupid" feet), at least it helps my crossrolls! I am getting a bit more power into these now and the curves are beginning to get bigger again. I need to try and bring the crossed foot back a bit, rather than further in front - more of a cross I suppose.
Backward Crossrolls: Second time trying these, and having found these aaaawwwful the first time I did them, actually today they weren't so bad! Still doing them with support, but just perhaps, they are starting to make a little more sense now! I am getting a better idea of how to put the crossing foot down on the ice now, through the toe, although my right foot is much happier crossing than my left one!
Novice Foxtrot: I got a bit off my pattern the first time round, but the second time was much better. One of my focuses for practice this week is to make sure that FXO's and swings all push out perpendicular to the direction of travel, rather than trying to twist into it, and this is applicable for all my dances.
Canasta Tango: Apparently my arms switch between being sharp and floaty - no room for floatiness in this dance! And I was concentrating so hard on getting my arms right throughout it (having only worked it out in the living room!), I forgot the cross swingy thing!
Dutch Waltz: Finally got to do this in a lesson (having learnt it a few weeks ago). The second time through was much better as my edges were deeper and I was pushing a little more perpendicular to the direction of travel than I was on the first time round :) I like this one, but someone was playing the music and I can't quite keep up on all of it just yet!
I was so glad I didn't cancel my lesson this week after being ill. I'm glad we took it easy, but I feel so much better for having done some exercise - almost feeling completely human again!


No comments:
Post a Comment