Slow but sure improvement
Class today, and a couple of small improvements. We also did everything from Level 6 & 7 today, and a couple of other bits, so here goes!
Backward Chasses: It was good to go back to these, and felt even better to do some backward stuff without completely terrifying myself. Could even do these while chatting today!
Backward Crossovers: Now the improvement in this is so minimal and most people will go "Eh?" (Clare_O - I'm looking for backup here!) but I did two crossovers on my own on the hockey circle! They were a little tentative and not enough knee bend, but they are slowly starting. I think where I went wrong before when I fell was trying to mimic the coach in the smooth continuous crossovers. The truth is that I don't yet have the poise and balance to do them like that! What has helped is when I have done one crossover, is to bring my feet together and just glide for a second, to make sure I am balanced before trying another one.
Forward outside 3-turns: LFO's were pretty good (never thought I'd say that!), RFO's could do with a little practice.
Forward Inside 3-turns: Still not managed one full one yet, but little things improving which will hopefully lead to them happening. Now working on bending the knees more, making sure my free hip is not dropping, and keeping my upper body poised correctly. The note to myself from last week about trying to sit further forward on the blade is working - I can feel the weight is more over the ball of my foot. I now know exactly what Clare_O was talking about when she mentioned them looking like weird skiddy things.
Continuous Edges: Enjoyable as ever, but had to do them up one of Ally Pally's inbuilt hills today which made them a bit harder!
Backward Turning to Forward: Went okay. Now I know how mohawks work, I am trying to get good turn-out on the transition between backward and forward on these.
Slaloming: Fun as ever.
Cross-rolls: First two rubbish, second two started working slightly. Like trying them though as they feel challenging without being impossible.
Spiralling Curve: (spiralling in, ending up with a gentle two foot spin) - I like doing these, and apparently I do it quite well. Even did two revolutions at the end today without feeling sick, which was a first!
So, what with one thing and another . . . and another . . . and another . . . it was a busy lesson today!
Next Monday I am having a day off, so looking forward to a nice long skating sesh in the morning. It is test week next Wednesday, but don't think I'll bother this time, unless a real miracle happens on Monday!


2 comments:
I totally understand that 2 consecutive crossovers is a reason for celebration!!
Spiralling Curves- I like these too but I find that my 2 foot spin is better from a standstill although, due to lack of practice, I've never topped 4 revs. Must remind myself to practice these more often, especially as I love them :)
Thank you Clare - I knew you'd understand :-D
I'm not that good at doing the spin from a standstill - I like the run up of the spirally curve as it makes me feel more centred. Mind you, I haven't practiced these very much - maybe that's why!
Post a Comment