Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Now on fingertips . . .

Last lesson of the set today, and it was test week. As previously mentioned though, I just treated it as a normal lesson, as I was nowhere near testing yet in my mind!

Backward Crossovers: Again, with help from my coach. Getting to be less help now with my hands resting very lightly on hers, and only the occasional grab when feeling like I am going to pitch over! She is very encouraging, and tells me that there is nothing wrong with them. Apparently they are quite smooth as well and it is purely a confidence issue. The last test before the summer holidays is in about seven or eight weeks so hopefully they will be no problem by then! Apparently the bit I am most tentative on is the actual transferring the weight over onto the crossed over foot. They are beginning to feel much smoother though, even if I do have to have a "helping hand"
Forward Inside 3-turns: I was given a new way of approaching these today, and I think I am beginning to see the light. I have a habit of tilting to one side when I rotate into it, so no wonder I feel unbalanced. Instead, currently I am trying them on two feet, so I get the correct rotation, and then lifting the foot up, initially as I did the turn (and I even can do a backward glide out of it!) and then lifting the foot up a little earlier each time. I actually did manage to do a turn and it means I get the correct rotation into it as well without going wonky. I will just have to practice, lifting the free leg earlier each time.
Continuous Forward Curves: Well, you know how much I like these. Apparently I have passed these with no trouble - D told me that means at least I have actually passed half of level 7!

After the next set of lessons, there is a break for about six weeks for the summer holidays, so I think the time is coming for me to think about private coaching. D is encouraging me to follow the ice dance route and I have to say, that was always the appeal anyway. Bless her, she is already picking out colours of my skating dresses! The first two dances are the Preliminary Foxtrot and the Canasta Tango, and the best thing is that they don't go backward!!!! D herself is a fantastic ice dancer, having just come first in her group at the recent Vana Tallinn Trophy in Estonia last week and I think she would be a wonderful dance coach, but not sure yet whether our times will 'fit'. At least I have a couple of months to think about it.

Speaking of skating dresses, it has been a while since I have updated you on the 'Skating Dress Diet' and I am pleased to tell you that I have now lost . . . . wait for it . . . . 21 pounds! That's a stone and a half! I have decided that this is to blame for my 3-turn problems - my centre of gravity is changing all the time!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, losing weight does make a HUGE difference in your center of gravity and balance!
3turn

Amanda said...

Thank you 3turn - you see, I KNEW it!!!!

Jennifer Watson said...

*ahem* clutching at straws? :-P

Amanda said...

Well, 3turn is a much more experienced skater than myself, so very happy to take her word for it!

And my coach was also telling me it can make a huge difference - particularly with kids growing up when they can lose their jumps and spins completely.

So there!!

:-D

Anonymous said...

Yup, 'tis true, especially for the young girls- once they hit puberty or have a growth spurt, it can totally disrupt their skating to the point where, as you said, elements can go completely.

Amanda said...

. . . and goodness knows what it will be like when I have lost another stone and a half!