Thursday, May 10, 2007

Cross Rolls are fun!

Am a bit late updating my blog from my lesson last night but have been up to the eyeballs in wedding bits!

I was feeling a bit out of sorts last night, but the lesson wasn't too bad.

Backward Crossovers: Still using coaches hands, but resting on top of hers now, rather than the grip of death! Certainly going CW these felt smoother, and the CCW were smoother once I got into it. On my own, I can do two consecutive ones without bailing out - believe me, that is a huge improvement! I will make sure I go to patch next Tuesday so I can get some practice in.
Forward Inside 3-turns: Not happening but better. Need to rotate more before doing the turn, and the main thing is to make sure weight isn't over the back of the blade. I have realised that when I am scared about something, my weight goes towards the back of the blade (I do the same with the backward crossovers), but it actually feels more secure when I bring it towards the balls of my feet! I also have a tendency to look down on these and they become easier when I don't. Practice, practice, practice . . .
Consecutive edges: Well, compared to the previous things, these felt really controlled today which I was happy about. In fact, they were good enough for the coach to get me to try:-
Cross-Rolls (from Level 9!): Difficult but I enjoyed these. For the uninitiated, these are like the continuous edges (each foot doing a semi-circle) but instead of just bringing the feet together to change foot, you are doing a forward crossover onto an outside edge. Described to me as "like walking drunk". The first couple were hopeless, but I started to get the hang of it on my second go. Lots of fun! And it feels like I have started my first dancy step.

It is funny how I am happy to throw myself into new things that go in a forward direction, but backwards really makes me quake. I have to get over this mental brick wall!!!

9 comments:

Skating Mom said...

Sounds like you're really having fun !
Our rink is closed untill august,I have managed level 3 ,but not 4.
Even though I was ready ,when we started to do the test for level 4 the adrenaline started to run through my legs and I got really shakey,even my hands were trembling.
I just couldn't controll my legs enough to do the exercises like they were supposed to be done.
Pitty,but next time I can try for level 4 and 5 ,level 5 is difficult enough so I'm glad I won't have to practice too much for 4 anymore.

Amanda said...

Aw SkatingMom - that sucks about the rink being closed until August! You'll have to visit London
:-D

I know what you mean about the shakiness - it's 'orrible, isn't it? I got it last week after doing backwards crossovers, even though I was holding onto my coach for dear life! I think it is all the tension that you put through your body, rather than just relaxing into it.

So what do you have to do for Level 5?

Gordon said...

I think everyone experiences that queasiness about going backward, but eventually you get over it and start to prefer going backward! Seriously!

Amanda said...

So people keep telling me Gordon! I am very much looking forward to the day when that happens . . .

Anonymous said...

I swear, sometimes when I read your entries, I could be reading my own!! Believe me, I totally understand how doing just a couple of consecutive back crossovers feels like a massive step. Wait until you get around the whole circle- you'll feel like you just won Olympic Gold!!

Forward Crossrolls- I've only tried them a couple of times but I find them very entertaining :)

Amanda said...

And vice versa Clare - with your entries! When I manage the whole circle, I'll probably jump upto the air in excitement, come crashing down and sprain something . . . .

The crossrolls are entertaining aren't they - it's nice to have something new to practice that I am not terrified of!!!

Skating Mom said...

Hi Amanda,for level 5 I would have to do inside 3turns and some other things I don't know yet ,but I believe there's a jump included,but I'm not very sure about that.
I know that I have done a couple of things that I need to do for level 5,so when the time for testing comes, I probably will be ready ;-) This time I have untill februari to get ready.

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind, but I've tagged you for the "8 random things" game. You have to list 8 random things about yourself, then tag another 8 people to do the same.

sex shop said...

It can't truly work, I think this way.