Just pushing along
I had a break from the ice (for a whole six days - when did less than a week start to qualify as a big break!) and went to patch this evening. I would have gone to the quiet session at the Littlest Rink last night, but suddenly realised that it was the school holidays and had the potential to be packed.
Patch was quite busy too, I guess for the same reason, but quietened off about 8.00pm.
As I had no particular thing to practice, no test to panic about, I just enjoyed "pottering about" and covered a few things.
Forward Outside 3-turns - I never thought that it would happen, but now I have passed this hurdle test-wise, these are now a pleasure to practice! They are not brilliant, but they improve every time I practice them. One thing I think I need to watch though is that I tend to come out of the 3-turn on a really sharp backwards inside edge, so I need to practice it with shallower edges. I am also going into these with a little more speed now as well.
Forward Inside 3-turns - thought I would give these a bash again. Not happening at all - it doesn't make sense to my feet! However, I have already picked up one mistake - my hips as well as my top half were turning in before the turn, so I am concentrating on keeping my hips "tight", rotating from the waist and keeping my hips in line with my legs. I think they will come.
Continuous Curves Inside & Outside Edges - Love 'em. And they are getting more controlled and with more powerful pushes each session I practice them. I presume these are practice for cross-rolls amongst other things?
Backward Crossovers - I spent a lot of time today practicing these near the barrier. I really worked on sitting back into the skating leg when pushing back. This in turn makes the actual crossover a hell of a lot easier. If I don't think about that, my weight is too far forward and I grind onto my toepicks. I was also really forcing the weight onto the crossover leg and trying to lift the underneath leg without any toepicky sound by pigeontoeing my free foot in. And they were fairly silent! I almost feel confident enough now to try these in succession on a hockey circle!
Forward Crossovers - getting stronger all the time. CCW that is! I really need to practice these more CW as I think this will also help with my backwards crossovers.
And I have to admit, for some of the session, I was just enjoying watching the more advanced skaters. Especially the skaters doing dance, both solo and pairs - it looks like so much fun!


4 comments:
I hope you don't mind that I'm always giving you advice as if I know what I'm talking about - it's just that it was only yesterday it seems that I had the exact same problems you are having and I hope that my struggles might help you a bit!
Anyway, we ALL have a really deep inside edge on FO3s to start with. When I griped about it in my own journal, I got people skating at intermediate and junior level telling me how hard they had to work to go back and correct that steep inside edge. So don't worry. It will improve slowly.
For BXOs, to avoid the under toe pick scrape, my coach says point and flex. So point the toe to finish off the understroke and get every last bit of power out of it and then flex the foot to get that toepick off the ice.
3turn
I don't mind about the advice at all 3turn - it's great!
I'm glad to hear about the steep backwards inside edge happening to most people - makes me feel a little less worried about it.
And I'll try out your advice on the backwards crossovers! Not sure I am up to the pushing off with the underneath leg yet, but I store all this info up!
Hiya, just thought I'd leave a message here to tell you the fabbie I've used for Middy. I'm loving her, she's out again next week and I can't wait. She's stitching up so quickly.
Fabbie is from Sugar Maple Fabrics, it's 14 count "Angel Kisses" opalescent.
Happy stitching and skating.....
Ooh thanks Paula - their fabrics look gorgeous. I think I will very likely be stitching my next one on something Sugar Maple!
Thanks for letting me know!
Post a Comment