Oh, the shame!
Went to patch tonight, after not having been all week trying to avoid the Easter Holiday crush.
It was nice on one level - a girl from my group at the Skate UK lessons came with me today for her first patch session. This skating lark has really been a great way of meeting new people!
On the other hand, I had a bit of a crap skate today. FO3's were okay, FI3's just aren't happening. I know that eventually trying these I will fall on my bum, as my weight is going waaaay backwards when I do the turn. Surely the same principles for FO3's should apply to FI3's?
Played around with other stuff - fast and slow forward stroking, continuous curves on inside and outside edges (insides felt good, outsides felt bleugh), some backward crossovers by the barrier (not brave enough in patch to take a hockey circle to do these, especially as it was a little busy today) and forward crossovers. I felt really toepicky today, and a few times felt quite unbalanced. Physically that is! Hopefully it will have worn off by Saturday.
Shame of shames as well. I knew it would happen. I kept reading about it happening and it happened to me . . . I got on the ice with my blade guards on *goes bright red*. I couldn't understand why my feet weren't moving when I stepped on the ice! I was lucky enough not to fall on my arse or my face, but the girl I was with was practically peeing herself laughing . . .
Hopefully I won't do that again in a hurry! In the meantime, any tips about forward inside 3-turns would be hugely gratefully received!!!


6 comments:
Hi Amanda
I'm at the same stage as you with FI 3s. I need to get them going to pass level 7 but just have a mental block at the moment. One minute they seemed to be going OK and then I just seemed to lose confidence - fear of falling factor as you say as I also feel off balance. I also find the left inside much harder. Why is everything in that direction so much harder - crossovers for example. So yes any advice would be more than welcome.
I have to say I am loathe to put blade guards on my skates although I know I should as they save your blades from getting chipped because I know one day the inevitable will happen - as you have just discovered:-)
Hi Jane! Glad to see I am not the only one who finds FI3's a pain in the bum! Hopefully not literally . . .
Add me to the "baffled by FI3s" club!! I keep almost getting them but then off they go again. I can do them perfectly on the barrier but not a chance as soon as I step away :(
I know what you mean. If I am holding on to the barrier, my feet know what to do, but step away and . . . nothing!
I am hoping that it clicks into place like the FO3's did, but they took long enough to do that!
:-D
FI3s are hard. I developed a mental block on my LFI3 that took me over a year to get through, seriously :-(. I think working on your BO edges helps a lot, though -- it gets you away from that "turning into the abyss" feeling!
LOL Gordon - I think that "turning into the abyss" just about sums it up perfectly!
:-D
Post a Comment