Will skating leave me bankrupt?!
A day off work today, so off up to the ice rink this morning. My annual leave is strange this year - no plans for a holiday, so just taking off days here and there when I want to go skating. Works quite well for me! I've still got 20 days left as well.
The rink was beautifully quiet this morning - unlike last time when there were reams of kids, I was (along with Jen who accompanied me again - I think the skating thing has grabbed her!) the second person on the ice. However, the ice had the illusion of being good ice this morning. I don't know if you know what I mean, but it looked beautiful after being zamboni'd, but had lumps and bumps and grooves and ridges all over it not initially visible to the eye.
Now, originally today, I was going to try a bit of mental imagery with my backward crossovers. I was going to imagine that someone was holding my hand. I used to do this in ballet class when we had to hold a position on one leg on demi-pointe and imagine that my hand was resting on the barre. And it worked pretty well. However, today, I tried a couple of backward crossovers and they just weren't happening at all, so decided to leave them today. Instead though, I was a good girl, and did some backward stroking. Firstly round a hockey circle, and then in a straight line up the length of the rink. And that actually felt quite good! Maybe this will also help get my confidence up.
I spent some time on 3-turns today as well. FO3's were a bit rusty to start with, and then fell into place. FI3's were a bit rubbishy (not having got the knack of these yet). However, corrections given to me in the past started falling into place. "Don't drop your free hip". "Don't let your weight go towards the back of your blade". And although one hasn't happened yet, the entrance into it feels generally more secure than it did - most of the time I don't feel like I am going to splat onto my head. I also remembered what helped when I was desperately trying to get the FO3's - bringing my arms down to about belly-button height. So although one hasn't happened yet, I feel a little more on the verge of getting them than I did!
Apart from that, just played around on edges - continuous curves both inside and outside edges, and some one foot edges on the hockey circle. Rather to my amazement, I realised today that I can do an entire hockey circle on my outside edge in one glide. I remember when half a circle was an achievement! Also did some plain old forward stroking - but don't you just love that feeling when you are going fast and feel the wind in your face?!
Jen did well today - some one foot glides on both inside and outside edges, a little backward skating and some two footed turns, turning from front to back. Unfortunately, she did take a little tumble today (as predicted by her earlier - "I know I'm going to fall, I can feel it in my blades . . . ") but, how can I say it, fell on the best part of the anatomy to fall on. Skaters will know what I am talking about!
I am also now thinking of buying patch membership. I think the first one will have to be for six months as can't quite stretch to a full year (it costs how much!). This year's bonus from work should cover it (not a good year for the bonus) and hopefully next years will cover an entire year. I shall just have to save up for the first six months, to pay for the second six months of the year. I don't know why they don't let you pay by direct debit - it would make life so much easier! Good job I haven't got any holidays planned for this year . . . .


14 comments:
Hi Amanda
Isn't it amazing that skating becomes more important than holidays? Quite honestly if I could go somewhere where I could skate for 2 whole weeks it would be bliss but I don't think my husband would appreciate it. Also I have got to the stage where I basically work to pay for skating (especially as I only work p/t). It gets even more expensive when you get onto UK Star so I am told!!
I've got a perfect suggestion for your holiday then Jane - go on one of those Royal Caribbean Cruises.
Their ships have skating rinks on . . .
:-D
Aren't they meant to be plastic ice? Apparently I've heard no figure skates allowed on them as the toepicks ruin the surface. Has anyone tried them I wonder?
Still a cruise does sound wonderful full stop!
Apparently not! I found this interview with the "Ice Captain" of one of the ships, where he talks about the Zamboni machine and the ice show they put on!
http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/ behindTheSmiles/profile.do?INTERVIEWID=7
Yes, skating will bankrupt you!! I can't think about how much I spend every month or I'd faint- worth every penny though :)
Tell me about it! Just been looking at boots online as think I will need to upgrade near the end of the year.
Boots, blades, patch, lessons . . . the list goes on!!
I'm hoping my boots will hold up for a good while yet! What boots do you have at the moment?
Just a starter pair really - Reidell Blue Ribbons. I think I need to look at wider skates though. How about yourself?
I have Risport RF4s which are probably no good if you need a wider fit. Risports are notoriously narrow. Apaprently Gam is great for wider feet.
Reidell are also notorious for being narrow, and I do get crampy feet now and then, but on the whole they are not too bad. Maybe my feet aren't as wide as I think!
I have heard about Gam's being good for wider feet - Jacksons are also meant to be quite good for wide feet. Guess I won't know though till I try some on!
It's like pointe shoes all over again . . .
:-D
Just going back to the cruise idea - now you mention it is real ice the idea sounds more and more appealing!!
I have Edea skates . They are very comfortable and seem wider than the Risport RF4s which were my first pair and caused lots of blisters. My problem is that I have a fairly normal width ball of foot but a narrow ankle and can get 'slobbing'. Must be wonderful to get custom made boots - I heard someone saying there was a place where you could send a print of your foot to get some made up although it must cost a fortune - back to that money thing again.
I think you must be thinking of Klingbeils Jane - they are based in New York I believe, but you can send them imprints of your feet in foam, plus all the measurements and they will completely custom make them for you.
I think they cost about £450 custom built. Add the cost of your blades and getting quite a hefty pricetag!
I guess I'll wait to hear if you have booked a cruise then . . .
:-D
I have Belati skates, they are good for a wide fit, although I didn't realise it at the time when I bought them, they just were comfortable on me!
'Fat' skates my coach called them!
Hi Donna!
I'd forgotten about Belati Skates - I have heard they are good for wider feet. Hopefully I will be able to try a few brands to find out!
Post a Comment