Sunday, June 24, 2007

Ice to rattle your teeth!

Stacey and I decided to go skating down at the Littlest Rink this evening, on their "Beat Night" as apparently it is usually really quiet. I was really looking forward to it, as yesterday was a write off, having had one of those really awful headaches with nausea, that painkillers just don't seem to shift.

So we went off down there, in the disgusting weather we are having at the moment, and it would have been great as there were only 4 other people on the ice.

But the Zamboni machine was broken. Apparently it was the blade on it. When we walked in, I thought "Good grief, that's a lot of snow they've collected" - the blade is wonky or something, so was cutting great grooves in the ice, leading to a rippled effect over the whole surface. Skating over it made yer teeth rattle! It wouldn't have been quite so bad for a beginner not going fast, but for someone skating at speed and catching a toepick, it was seriously dangerous. When we got off, almost immediately, and asked for a refund, they were just about to cancel the session thankfully. Apparently someone is coming to look at the Zamboni tomorrow so hopefully it will soon be sorted out!

I have discovered a fantastic new product for keeping those skates airy fresh - cos I don't know about you, but my skates can get a bit "unfresh" at times. In the USA, I know there is something called Stink-Eez that is popular with skaters, but you can't get them over here. However, problem solved! Odor Eaters Foot & Shoe Spray is magic! I tried it once this evening, and seconds later, it was like springtime in them - highly recommended. I know it is not a usual topic of discussion but we are all human and I am sure we have all experienced something similar to some degree!


I am also waiting quite excitedly for a parcel to arrive from America. For the last nine months, I have been lugging my precious skates around in a rubbishy old bag that I used to use for my college books with blades and laces hanging out randomly. Well, no more. I have actually got round to ordering a proper skate bag. It is a Transpack Power Blue Floral Ice Bag - warning, it is extremely girlie, but hey - I'm like that.


It has mesh pockets on the outside for your skates (so they can be aerated - which will also no longer be a worry when on the bus, due to the aforementioned magic spray!) and loads of room in the middle compartment which is waterproof, so no doubt that now I will have more room, I will be able to carry even more crap around with me! Some descriptions refer to carrying your "Kids skates and gear", but as I have only little feet (UK size 5), I am not worried about them not fitting in. There is a bigger bag, for those more generously footed ladies and gents, called the Expo.

I will have to do a proper review of it when it arrives with proper photos, just in case anyone is interested.

5 comments:

Gordon said...

My first pair of boots that I had for almost 4 years never stank at all, but that's probably because I always took them out of the bag as soon as I got home (or back to the office) from skating; I never let them sit around in a closed space at all.

Amanda said...

Mine aren't that awful but enough to make me aware of them.
:-D

Although I am notoriously bad for not taking them out of their bag. Hopefully this new bag will solve the problem!

NIUiceprincess said...

I have the Transpack too. I love the mesh sides and how even if you forget to unzip the bag, it will still air out.

What do you think of the Zuca bags? They are notoriously popular in my rink. They are very cute, but I don't think they have much room for other things aside form your skates. Especially if you have adult size skates.

Amanda said...

The airiness is what appealed to me too. But it's still not here
:-(

I haven't seen the Zuca bags actually at the rink (well, I probably have but was in my own little world!). I like the fact you sit on them, but wouldn't be very practical on London Transport - another reason for the Transpack backpack type choice!

Anonymous said...

Cute bag!! Everyone at the rink I go to seems to have the Zuca bags, but it's not my style. I never knew about the Transpack. I hope it works well for you.