Thursday, January 22, 2009

Skating . . . but oh so tired

I have been skating a LOT since that awful phonecall from Sussex Police last Thursday. Every day in fact, bar Sunday. Some have been good, some not so good (more dependent on the number of people around me, rather than my mental state - patch on Tuesday was MANIC!). But oh I am so tired. I think probably a combination of thinking too much and just perhaps overdoing the exercise a little. But it helps me relax. Oh well, I am now forced off the ice for a couple of days - physio appointment this evening, and no patch tomorrow.

Weight has been falling off me over the last week too - for someone who used to be 5 sizes bigger, seeing my size 10 trousers practically falling off me is a bit of a shock. I have been eating, it just seems that stress speeds up my metabolism. I think I will be a bit of a shock to my extended family who I will be seeing next Thursday at the funeral - they haven't seen me since I was six stone heavier . . .

Had my usual lesson last night. My coach has very efficiently put all worries out of my head about my Level 1 Field Moves. By telling me that we are aiming for me taking my Level 2 by August. Smart move - I am certainly more worried about Level 2 now! All I can think about is big backward edges, mohawk exercises and FI3's which I am not too balanced on!

Still, we did a full mock-test of my Level 1 yesterday and she was pleased. Apparently with all the practice I have been doing over the last week, my backward crossovers are so much improved. They feel good too - I have lost the fear of travelling at speed on them, and actively seek to try and make them faster now, which I am quite delighted about.

Then we went through Level 2 . . .
Backward Edges: I have to do these with a little help at the moment. I'm fine once I'm balanced on them, its the push into them that I am unsteady on, when I am going into them at that speed. So I have been told to work on just the push, concentrating on keeping my free hip forward, and having all the power coming from the push, rather than my body.
Forward & Backward Crossrolls: At least I can do forward ones, even if they are not great. Needs more of an edge, and more push. Backwards - I can do little ones on my own, very slowly - but big ones I still need help with. She told me to bend my knees more and I only bent the back one . . . meaning that I nearly fell on my backside on one of them. Good job she was holding onto me! A bit toepicky and wobbly, but she seems happy with how they currently are.
Forward 3-turns on a circle: I can get through the FO3 version, albeit not too quickly, but need to work on putting my feet together after the 3-turn rather than about 3 foot apart! And keeping my skating leg on the circle as I push into the BO edge after the turn, rather than lemon-ing it wildy! I have been struggling with FI3's with an extended leg for a while as they felt horribly out of control and that I would just spin on the spot if I did them with any speed, but had one of those eureka moments today - "It's your shoulders." Bingo! Will practice those a lot to get them faster now.
Forward Inside Mohawks: On one side not too bad - still bottling them a little on the other side. But I continue to practice mohawk after mohawk after mohawk in my practice sessions, so I think this is just a matter of time now. I KNOW I can do it . . .

And then we did a Dutch Waltz and a Canasta Tango, which weren't too bad. We worked on my timing at the start of the tango which is now feeling better, and my waltz felt pretty good. It's amazing how I can so easily take up the whole rink now - funny how your power increases without you realising it. My shoulders were a little hunchy though so need to pull my shoulderblades back and together.

Rest now . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty interesting blog you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anete Smith